When you think of New York, you probably envision tall buildings, bright lights and cement, the bustling crowds of people and noisy traffic, Madison Avenue and Wall Street.
We are the other side of New York. We are the Enchanted Mountains of Cattaraugus County in the Chautauqua-Allegany Region of Western New York; where beautiful scenery displays forested, rolling hills and clean, sparkling lakes ...
Located in Western New York's scenic uplands, Cattaraugus County is a panorama of thriving communities, rolling farmlands, forests and picturesque waterways. Its wooded hilltops overlook valleys sculptured by glaciers of the Ice Age.
The Allegheny River flows through the southern towns, two cities and the Seneca Nation of Indians Reservation. This river offers recreation to thousands of fishermen, campers, boaters, and others along its banks and tributaries.
Cattaraugus Creek forms a major portion of the northern boundary of Cattaraugus County. This Creek runs through the spectacular "forever wild" Zoar Valley.
The scenery of the valley's gorge creates a narrow steep-walled canyon, while the valley offers a preserve for picnicking, sightseeing, hiking, fishing, and "white water" rafting.
Both Rock City Park in the Town of Olean, and Little Rock City within the Town of Little Valley, provide majestic geological formations offering a prehistoric experience which attracts geologists, naturalists, rock hounds, and the curious.
Golden sunshine and sparkling waters offer endless opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping such as can be experienced at Onoville Marina, Case Lake, Lime Lake, and Harwood Lake. Or try the fishing at Lake Lane Fishing and Camping Getaway for an outstanding family experience.
During the winter, the hillsides are alive with skiers at Holiday Valley ("The Aspen of the East"), and HoliMont, and with snowmobilers at Allegany State Park.
Scattered throughout the County's 1,336 square miles of land, are thirteen villages, thirty-two townships, and two cities.
- Allegany State Park is the largest state park in New York State and the 3rd largest State Park in the United States.
- Ellicottville, NY is the "Aspen of the East" home to 2 ski resorts and a tubing park.
- Salamanca, NY is the gateway to Allegany State Park
- New York's Amish Trail is in the western portion of Cattaraugus County.
Newspapers & Magazines
- The Villager Weekly Newspaper covering Ellicottville, New York
- Times Herald - daily newspaper covering Olean, NY and five counties.
- The Salamanca Press - Weekly newspaper covering Salamanca, NY and the surrounding area.
- The Summer Local - Featuring things to do in Cattaraugus and McKean Counties.
- The Arcade Herald - weekly newspaper covering Arcade, NY, ten townships, two villages in parts of three counties.
- The Buffalo News - daily newspaper covering Buffalo, NY and the surrounding area.
- The Post-Journal - daily newspaper covering Jamestown, NY and the surrounding area.
- Daily Reporter - daily newspaper covering Wellsville, NY and the surrounding area.
- The Bradford Era - daily newspaper covering Bradford, PA and the surrounding area.
Magazines / Guides
Explore New York - Features places to go in Western New York
- Interstate 86 runs east/west through our region.
- U.S. Route 219 runs north/south through our region.
- Olean Municipal Airport is located in Ischua.
- Dayton Airport is located in Dayton.
- Great Valley Airport is located in Great Valley.
- The City of Olean has busing that covers the entire city.
- The Village of Ellicottville has busing that also travels to the Seneca-Niagara Casino, located in Salamanca.