Communities in Cattaraugus County

The Town and Village of Allegany, NY are situated along the Allegheny River among the Enchanted Mountains of Western New York.

The Town of Ashford and the Cattaraugus Creek are on the county's northern border among the beautiful Enchanted Mountains of Cattaraugus County. 

The hamlet of West Valley is located in the town of Ashford. 

Rt. 219 runs north/south through Ashford.

The Town of Carrollton is on the south border of the Enchanted Mountains of Cattaraugus County.  The town was first settled around 1822 and formed in 1842 from the Town of Great Valley.  In 1877, the Village of Limestone set itself off from the town by incorporating as a village.  In 2011, this community reverted to being a hamlet within the town because voters agreed to dissolve

Cattaraugus is a village in the Town of New Albion in Cattaraugus County, New York.

The Village of Cattaraugus was incorporated in 1882. Its name derives from Cattaraugus Creek.

The first clearing of ground in the village was made by Horace Snyder to establish his potash production. The village developed most after the arrival of the Erie Railroad in 1851.

The first settler arrived around 1818. The Town of Coldspring was established in 1837 from a part of the Town of Napoli. In 1847 and 1848, part of the town was added to the Town of South Valley.

The Town of Conewango is located on the western boundary of the Enchanted Mountains of Cattaraugus County.  The west town line is the border of Chautauqua County.

The Town of Conewango was established in 1823 from a part of the Town of Little Valley. In 1826, part of Conewango was used to form the Town of Randolph, and another part was used in 1832 to make the Town of Leon.

The Town of Dayton is on the western border of the Enchanted Mountains of Cattaraugus County.  The Village of South Dayton is located within the town.

East Otto is a town in the Enchanted Mountains of Cattaraugus County, New York.  The population was 1,105 at the 2000 census.

Ellicottville, New York is a charming little ski town in Western New York with two ski resorts, Holiday Valley and HoliMont. Historic Ellicottville isn't just for the Winter Season as it is a year-round destination with boutiques, restaurants and great shops!

Farmersville is a town located in the eastern border of Cattaraugus County .  Its surface is a hilly upland, forming the watershed between the streams flowing northwest into Lake Erie, and those flowing east into Genesee River and south into Allegany River.   Mud Lake, in the northern part, covers an area of about 30 acres.  Harwood Lake at Farmersville Center covers 36 acre

Franklinville is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. Franklinville is also the name of a village in the town.

The Town of Franklinville is an interior town, located in the northeast quadrant of the county.

Freedom is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York.

Great Valley is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York.  The town is named after its local geographical setting, a relative comparison of two tributaries (the other being the neighboring Little Valley) of the Allegheny River.

Hinsdale is a town at the eastern border of Cattaraugus County, New York. The town was named after another location: Hinsdale, New Hampshire.

Hinsdale was found by Indians back in the late 18th century. Today it is not uncommon to find archeologists scouring the land in search of Native American relics.

Humphrey is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The town is named after politician Charles Humphrey.

The Town of Humphrey is an interior town in the eastern half of the county, northeast of the City of Salamanca. .

Ischua (pronounced ISH-way) is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. 

The Town of Ischua is on the eastern border of the county, north of Olean, New York.

Leon is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York.  The name is derived from the former Kingdom of León in Spain, though it is pronounced like the American first name, "Lee-on".  The Town of Leon is on the western border of the county, northwest of the City of Salamanca.  The west town line is the border of Chautauqua County, New York.

Little Valley is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The town is named after its local geographical setting, a relative comparison of two tributaries (the other being the neighboring Great Valley) of the Allegheny River.

Lyndon is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The Town of Lyndon is on the east border of the county and is north of Olean, New York.  Lyndon is often described as a "bedroom" community, having no industry or commercial property.   Improved property is primarily residential, recreational, and farming.

Machias is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. 

The Town of Machias is an interior town in the northeast quadrant of the county. It is northeast of the city of Salamanca.

Mansfield is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York.  The name was thought to be that of a noble family in England.

The Town of Mansfield is centrally located in Cattaraugus County, north of Salamanca

Napoli is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. It is located in the western half of the county, northwest of Salamanca. The only permanent community in the town is Napoli village, formerly "Napoli Corners."

New Albion is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The town is named after Albion in Orleans County, New York, the source of some early settlers.

The Town of New Albion is in the northwest quadrant of the county, northwest of the City of Salamanca.

Olean is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The name is derived from the Latin word "oleum" due to the discovery of crude oil in nearby Ischua.

The Town of Olean is in the southeast corner of the county. The City of Olean, originally the Village of Olean, is adjacent to the town.

Otto is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York.   The name comes from Jacob S. Otto, an agent of the Holland Land Company.

The Town of Otto lies on the northern border of the county

Perrysburg is a town and a village in Cattaraugus County, New York. The Town and Village were named after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry.

The Town of Perrysburg was formed in 1814 as the "Town of Perry" from the Towns of Ischua and Olean. In 1818 the town changed its name to "Perrysburgh." Eventually, the spelling became "Perrysburg." 

Persia is a town in the northwest part of  Cattaraugus County, New York.  

The town was first settled around 1812. The Town of Persia was founded in 1835 from the Town of Perrysburg.

The Town of Portville is located in Cattaraugus County in the southwestern corner of New York State along the Pennyslvania border, locally referred to as the Southern Tier.  Portville is 65 miles south of Buffalo and 90 miles south of Rochester.  Its eastern town line is the border of Allegany County, New York, and its southern town line is the Pennsylvania border. 

Randolph is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York.  The town was named after Randolph, Vermont.

The Town of Randolph contains a village called Randolph. The town also contains part of the Village of East Randolph, which is also partially located in the Town of Conewango.

Red House is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. As of the 2000 census, the town population was 38, making it the least populous town in the state. The name comes from a small stream, Red House Creek.

The Town of Red House is on the south edge of Cattaraugus County. Red House is south of the City of Salamanca.

Salamanca is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The name is from a major investor in a local railroad.  The City of Salamanca borders the town.

Travel Guide

Enchanted Mountains of Cattaraugus County Travel Guide for 2017It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!

View the visitor's guide online

or

request that the Enchanted Mountains guide

be snail mailed to you for FREE!

NYAGT Geocaching Trails

Zoar Valley MUA has the TALLEST Basswood tree in the world!

According to the DEC, a 128 foot tall basswood within Zoar Valley has been reported to be the tallest basswood in the world.

Read more