Home » Places Old Quaker Store Museum Although a convenience store for campers existed from the beginnings of Allegany State Park in 1921, the building now housing the Old Quaker Store Museum did not. A small souvenir shop and museum, located nearby, was operated from 1923 to 1930 by Edwin Countryman, the most colorful of the early entrepreneurs. Hamilton Ward, chairman of the Allegany State Park Commission, made a motion at the April 12, 1924 meeting that the Commission establish two stores and a restaurant for the camping public. The matter was referred to Parks Commissioner, John B. McCabe. Approval for construction of this building came at the February 1925 commission meeting. The building was erected during the spring of 1925 at a cost of $4,873.33, and opened on Saturday, June 13, 1925. The Larkin Company of Buffalo became the park's storekeeper, with Albert Coe of Salamanca as manager. The Larkin Company operated the store for nine of the next 11 years. John Holt, of Quaker Bridge, had the concession in 1930 and 1931. The Quaker Store was operated until 1986 by a succession of concessionaires. During the 60 years of its operation it supplied groceries, camping supplies and souvenirs, and functioned as a meeting place of friends. New life for the Quaker store began in 1995 with a proposal to develop most of the building as a visitor center and museum focusing on the history and development of Allegany State Park. The Old Quaker Store Museum began its first season on July 30, 1996. the 75th Anniversary of the park's opening. A temporary exhibit was featured which outlined the steps in the establishment of Allegany State Park and highlighted the people involved in this venture. The Museum, with the permanent exhibit in place, was dedicated on October 1, 1997 in honor of New York State Senator, Jess J. Present. Open Weekends (May 20 until June 25)Summer Hours: Daily 10:00 AM - 5:00 PMSaturdays & Sundays: Noon to 7:00 PMMemorial Day: Noon to 5:00 PMLabor Day: Noon - 5:00 PM Old Quaker Store Museum ASP Route 3 Salamanca, NY 14779 United States Phone: 716-354-2182 or 716-354-9101 42° 0' 27.5328" N, 78° 46' 21.2916" W General Information Wheelchair Accessible: Yes Parking: Yes RV Parking: Yes Bus Parking: Yes Pets Allowed: Unknown Accepts Credit Cards: Unknown Internet Access: Unknown Conference / Meeting / Banquet: Unknown Indoor Pool: Unknown Outdoor Pool: Unknown Swimming: Boat Launch or Dock: Fishing Access: Equestrian Trail Access: Unknown Bicycle Trail Access: Unknown Hiking Trail Access: Unknown Mountain Biking Trail Access: Unknown Snowmobile Trail Access: Unknown Please note Please note that this information may change and may be incorrect Old Quaker Store Museum is categorized in Museums Rainy Day Culture Enthusiasts Salamanca Email this page Travel Guide It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!! View the visitor's guide online or request that the Enchanted Mountains guide be snail mailed to you for FREE! Related Events 2017 Sportsman's Show at Seneca Allegany Events Center Olean Area Outdoor & Rec Sports Show 2017 Olean Theatre Workshop presents "The Spoon River Project" Olean Theatre Workshop presents "The Odd Couple" Olean Theatre Workshop presents "Death of a Salesman"