Cattaraugus Creek, which borders our county on the north, has been listed in the top 10 Steelhead fishing sites by fishing magazines. Read one fisherman's experience on Quaker Lake in Allegany State Park.
Our lakes, streams and creeks (over 62 sites!) are stocked with fish raised at the Randolph Fish Hatchery, a division of NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. You will eagerly await the opening of trout season in the spring or wait for the warm days of summer to cast your line in a quiet, peaceful stream and watch the clouds float along. For the hardier sportsperson, try ice fishing on our lakes during one of those sunny, brilliant wintry days.
Note: If you are fishing on a Seneca Nation of Indians Reservation you need a SNI Fishing license but you do not need a NYS Fishing License on a SNI Reservation.
Don't have a fishing license?
There are two places to take the family fishing without a license and you pay admission.
- Lake Lane Fishing and Hunting Getaway - They offer bass, bullhead, perch, bluegill and various trout.
- Rawson Valley Aqua Farm - Come fish for trout, bass, perch and catfish in a relaxing atmosphere.
More to read about Fishing
- Special Fishing Regulations for Cattaraugus County
- New York Statewide Angling Regulations
- Fishing Guide for Small Lakes in Cattaraugus County
- The Top Inland Trout Streams in Cattaraugus County
- Guide to Steelhead Fishing in Western NY
- Map and Guide for Steelhead Fishing in Cattaraugus Creek
- Be sure to get the Public Fishing Rights Map from the NYS DEC