Great Valley is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The town is named after its local geographical setting, a relative comparison of two tributaries (the other being the neighboring Little Valley) of the Allegheny River.
The town was first settled around 1812. The Town of Great Valley was formed in 1818, taken from part of the Town of Olean. In 1831, the Town of Allegany was made from the southeast part of Great Valley, and in 1842 the Town of Carrollton was made from the southwest part of Great Valley. Part of the Allegany Reservation was annexed in 1847.
It is an interior town, lying just a little south of the center of Cattaraugus County. Its surface is mountainous and hilly upland. The highest summit, near the southwest corner, is 1300 feet above the river. The Allegany River flows through the southwest corner, receiving the Great Valley Creek as tributary.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 50.2 square miles, of which, 50.2 square miles of it is land and 0.04 square miles of it (0.06%) is water.
The Allegheny River flows through the southeast corner of the town, and the Great Valley Creek is an important stream in the town.
US Route 219 is a major north-south highway in the town and intersects New York State Route 98 in Great Valley village.
Great Valley Station, Killbuck post office, is a hamlet , in the south, on the mouth of Great Valley Creek. Peth is another small named area.
A day at Pumpkinville is a fall family tradition for most families in all of WNY.
Chapel hill Raceway presents and evening of racing featuring the NYPA tq midgets 30 lap feature race, as well as time trials, heats, and dashes. Kyle Hutchinson has won 5 in a row at the Hill, can someone knock him down and become KING OF THE HILL or will it be 6 in a row?
A family owned and operated "hobby" shop.
While bow hunting is a seasonal sport, the Auges hope to make their shop more of a year-round venture. Owners Don and Carl said they plan to carry more inventory, will hold classes for bow hunting licenses with their three certified bow instructors and want to open up indoor practice lanes.
The Great Valley Hotel, built about 1838, was also known through the years as the Plank Road House by Able Hicks, the Halfway House on the northern stagecoach route, The Fenton Hotel, and The Harrison House. In 1926, Minnie Taylor bought and remodeled the house and it became known as The Evergreen Tea Room.
This beauty is just a mile from Holiday Valley Ski Resort and 2 miles from Ellicottville! Enough room for the whole family and then some with 3 large bedrooms with queen beds, 1 smaller bedroom with a double bed and a pull out queen sleeper sofa.
It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!
View the visitor's guide online
request that the Enchanted Mountains guide
be snail mailed to you for FREE!
According to the DEC, a 128 foot tall basswood within Zoar Valley has been reported to be the tallest basswood in the world.