Randolph is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The town was named after Randolph, Vermont.
The Town of Randolph contains a village called Randolph. The town also contains part of the Village of East Randolph, which is also partially located in the Town of Conewango.
The Town of Randolph sits on the vast tracts of land which were originally owned by the Holland Land Company. The region was first settled around 1820. The first settler was Edmund Fuller, who arrived from Oneida County in 1820 and built a log cabin. On March 7, 1826, citizens assembled for their first annual meeting to select the town supervisor and other officials. In 1847, the town was divided to form the Town of South Valley.
In 1867, the Village of Randolph was incorporated, setting itself off from the town. In 2010, the citizens of Randolph voted to dissolve the incorporation, and the village will revert to being a hamlet in the town, effective 2011.
In 1881, the Village of East Randolph was incorporated, setting itself off from the town. In 2010, the citizens of East Randolph voted to dissolve the incorporation, and the village will revert to being a hamlet within the town with part of the former village becoming once again part of the Town of Conewango, effective 2011.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 36.3 square miles, of which, 36.2 square miles of it is land and 0.1 square miles of it (0.39%) is water.
Communities and locations in the Town of Randolph
· Battle Creek – A stream flowing through the center of the town.
· Bowen – A hamlet on County Road 8 in the central part of the town.
· Carr Corners – A hamlet in the southeast corner of the town.
· East Randolph – The Village of East Randolph is partly in the town.
· Little Conewango Creek – A stream in the northeast part of the town.
· Randolph – The Village of Randolph, the first place settled, is in the northeast corner of the town at a junction of NY Routes 394 and 241.
· Vollentine – A hamlet in the southwest part of the town, south of Bowen.
Randolph Fire Company has conference/reception/meeting capacity of 200. This room has wireless access. There is a fully equipped kitchen for catering and the parking lot accommodates 100 cars. There is limited lodging one block away, and more available in Salamanca which is a 10 minute ride.
Pam and Mike Lecceardone welcome you to Pope Haven Campgrounds, located on the New York Amish trail.
Heated swimming pool open Memorial weekend through Labor Day
Enclosed pavilion that seats 80+ people
Volleyball court, Basketball court
Catch and Release Fishing Pond
It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!
View the visitor's guide online
request that the Enchanted Mountains guide
be snail mailed to you for FREE!
There were over 170 old schoolhouses with many still in existence in Cattaraugus County