Randolph, New York

Randolph is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York.  The town was named after Randolph, Vermont.

The Town of Randolph contains a village called Randolph. The town also contains part of the Village of East Randolph, which is also partially located in the Town of Conewango.

The Town of Randolph sits on the vast tracts of land which were originally owned by the Holland Land Company. The region was first settled around 1820. The first settler was Edmund Fuller, who arrived from Oneida County in 1820 and built a log cabin. On March 7, 1826, citizens assembled for their first annual meeting to select the town supervisor and other officials. In 1847, the town was divided to form the Town of South Valley.

In 1867, the Village of Randolph was incorporated, setting itself off from the town. In 2010, the citizens of Randolph voted to dissolve the incorporation, and the village will revert to being a hamlet in the town, effective 2011.

In 1881, the Village of East Randolph was incorporated, setting itself off from the town. In 2010, the citizens of East Randolph voted to dissolve the incorporation, and the village will revert to being a hamlet within the town with part of the former village becoming once again part of the Town of Conewango, effective 2011.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 36.3 square miles, of which, 36.2 square miles  of it is land and 0.1 square miles of it (0.39%) is water.

Communities and locations in the Town of Randolph

·        Battle Creek – A stream flowing through the center of the town.

·        Bowen – A hamlet on County Road 8 in the central part of the town.

·        Carr Corners – A hamlet in the southeast corner of the town.

·        East Randolph – The Village of East Randolph is partly in the town.

·        Little Conewango Creek – A stream in the northeast part of the town.

·        Randolph – The Village of Randolph, the first place settled, is in the northeast corner of the town at a junction of NY Routes 394 and 241.

·        Vollentine – A hamlet in the southwest part of the town, south of Bowen.

Places

Photo of Cinnamon Fern Studio

Cinnamon Fern Studio offers fine painting and woodworking workshops for children and adults.

Cheeseburger From Pete's Place 2019

Local hangout famous for their juicey, hand-pressed, 10-12 oz. burgers! Home of the working man’s lunch.

Gotta try: Cajun Mushrooms

 

Hours:

Monday - Sunday
11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Travel Guide

Enchanted Mountains of Cattaraugus County Travel Guide for 2020It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!

View the visitor's guide online

or

request that the Enchanted Mountains guide

be snail mailed to you for FREE!

NYAGT Geocaching Trails

Equestrian Trails throughout

Miles of equestrian trails meander throughout our county.

Read more