Little Valley is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The town is named after its local geographical setting, a relative comparison of two tributaries (the other being the neighboring Great Valley) of the Allegheny River.
The Town of Little Valley is centrally located in the county. There is also a village named Little Valley, the county seat in this town. The town is north of the City of Salamanca
The first permanent settlement was made around 1816. The "Town of Elkdale," as it was originally called, was formed in 1818 from the "Town of Perry" (now Perrysburg). Little Valley was once an important rail station on the Erie Railroad and notable for its cheese and dairy industry. The location of the railroad resulted in moving the county seat to the Village of Little Valley, which was also later connected to Salamanca by a streetcar line.
The Towns of Conewango (1823), Napoli (1823), Mansfield (1930), New Albion (1930), and Bucktooth (1855, renamed Salamanca in 1864) were all formed from Little Valley. The Little Valley Creek flows through the town, as does a small tributary named Lees Hollow.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 29.9 square miles, of which, 29.9 square miles of it is land and 0.03% is water.
New York State Route 242 and New York State Route 353 are major trunk roads through the town. They converge at Killborn Corners just east of the Village of Little Valley. County Routes 88 and 96 act as bypasses. County Route 15, which picks up where Route 88 leaves off, continues northeast parallel to Route 242 between Little Valley and Ellicottville. County Routes 5 and 14 start in the northwest corner of the town and head toward New Albion and East Otto, respectively.
The Pat McGee Trail, a hiking and snowmobile trail, runs through the town parallel to Route 353.
The Cattaraugus County Fair has been a tradition in Little Valley for 169 years!! Families have experienced all the exciting rides, animal shows and live entertainment for more than a century!
This is the first show in a series of seven shows in the "Battle" series. There will be three locations for the shows; at Nash Hill Equestrian Center, at Hamburg Showplex and at the Cattaraugus County Fairgrounds.
For more information on Battle 1, please call 716-481-7242.
#1 - May 19-21 @ Little Valley Fairgrounds
#2 - May 26-28 @ Nash Hill Equestrian Center
Bring your horse and enjoy the company of other equine enthusiasts. Trailrides both Saturday and Sunday.
More information forthcoming.
Tonight features Memorial Day Late Model & 358 Special, Super Late Model, 358 Modifieds, Street Stocks and Crate Late Models.
Gates open at 3pm and races begin at 6:30pm.
Built in the 1850's, this Historic Homestead is secluded in stately pines on a 130 acre Horse farm. Numerous porches and decks provide relaxing areas to follow the sun and enjoy beautiful sunsets or star gaze. The peaceful atmosphere is interrupted only by the wind in the pines, frogs in the pond and the thunder of horses running in the night!
Where the locals go for a quick lunch or a hearty dinner.
There are buildings available for conferences, receptions, reunions or meetings at the Cattaraugus County Fairgrounds. Room capacity is 400 people and there is unlimited parking. Booking time requirement is 3 months. Ellicottville and Salamanca would be the nearest lodging for large groups, but both are just 10 minutes away.
It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!
View the visitor's guide online
request that the Enchanted Mountains guide
be snail mailed to you for FREE!
Miner’s Cabin in Franklinville was built by a miner that returned home after making it good during the gold rush era of the west coast. The building is not a cabin either but a three story house of Queen Anne design.