Olean is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York. The name is derived from the Latin word "oleum" due to the discovery of crude oil in nearby Ischua.
The Town of Olean is in the southeast corner of the county. The City of Olean, originally the Village of Olean, is adjacent to the town.
Olean was first settled around 1805. The Town of Olean was established in 1808 as the only town in the county. The "Town of Ischua," (now Franklinville) was established in 1812, part of Perrysburg was removed in 1814, Great Valley was formed in 1818, Hinsdale in 1820, and Portville, in 1837.
The Village of Olean, was originally named "Hamilton," after Alexander Hamilton, but was called Olean Point until simplified to Olean in 1823.
The name "Olean" was suggested for the area due to the oil found in the vicinity. The famed Seneca Oil Spring, discovered by the Franciscan Missionary Joseph De La Roche D'Allion in 1627 was located about 14 miles upstream of Olean Point. The original town hall burned in 1884, prompting a law that forbade wooden structures in parts of the town.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 29.7 square miles, of which, 29.6 square miles of it is land and 0.1 square miles of it (0.27%) is water
The City of Olean is a city within the Town of Olean in Cattaraugus County, New York. Olean is the largest city in Cattaraugus County, and serves as the financial, business and transportation center of the county. It is one of the principal cities of the Southern Tier region of New York.
The city is surrounded by the Town of Olean and is located in the southeastern part of the county.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.2 square miles, of which, 5.9 square miles of it is land and 0.2 square miles of it (3.73%) is water.
The city is located where Olean Creek flows into the Allegheny River and by the Southern Tier Expressway (Interstate 86 and New York State Route 17). New York State Route 417 passes east-west through the city and intersects New York State Route 16, a north-south highway.
There will be a special musical performance at Four Mile Brewing Company to benefit the African American Center for Cultural Development. Stop down, grab a brew and a bite to eat and listen to great music.
Watch the hometown Roller Derby team take on their opponents at home! The Hellbilly Heartbreakers season is upon us! This team is part of the Enchanted Mountains Roller Derby League, who are a skater owned and operated league created in 2010. These girls are not only really tough and talented, they are supporters of local charities as well. They donate 10% of proceeds ea
With the dust now settled construction to North Union Street, The Greater Olean Area Chamber of Commerce and city leadership are inviting the community out for a night on the town. Working with the city and members of the business community, the Chamber is announcing “StrOlean,” the event aims to bring folks to the downtown shopping district for an evening of fun.
A&J's has been serving Olean since 1974. It is best known for its homemade rolls, which are baked on-site daily. Offering a whole line of specialty subs, over 20 different fresh salads, pizza, finger foods, and more.
Monday10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday - Friday10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!
View the visitor's guide online
request that the Enchanted Mountains guide
be snail mailed to you for FREE!
2 of the largest covered aviaries in the world and a waterfowl preserve are located at Gooseneck Hill Waterfowl Sanctuary with over 300 geese, ducks and swans even having the endangered NeNe geese.