Freedom is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York.
The first settlers arrived around 1811. The Town of Freedom, was formed from Ischua, on April 13, 1820. A part of Yorkshire was taken off in 1844. It is the N.E corner town of the county. Its surface is a rolling or moderately hilly upland. Clear Creek and the south branch of Cattaraugus Creek are the principal streams. Beaver Lake is in the south part, Fish Lake, in the east, and Scum and Laws Lakes are small ponds in the center. There are several quarries of good building stone found in different parts of town.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 40.6 square miles, of which, 40.3 square miles of it is land and 0.3 square miles of it (0.64%) is water.
The Town of Freedom is in the northeast corner of the Cattaraugus County. The north town line is the border of Wyoming County and the east town line is the border of Allegany County.
New York State Route 98 is a major north-south highway through the town, and New York State Route 243 begins at the southeast town line.
The Moore family started their maple syrup business in 1967. In 1973, they opened the Sugar Shack as a way to share the syrup making process with customers, who can watch the processes and gain a greater appreication for this American past time. Customers can also purchase maple products in the Sugar Shack, which is open year-round.
"Mr. & Mrs. Picker" are long time collectors of old and unusual things! Having moved into their new location with brand new building that is two stories tall and can house years of Antiques, collectables and a whole lot more!
Turkey Run Golf Course is an 9 hole public course with many water hazards and 5,727 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 70. The course is enjoyable and the view is great!
It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!
View the visitor's guide online
request that the Enchanted Mountains guide
be snail mailed to you for FREE!
Griffis Sculpture Park is located on over 400 acres and holds over 250 sculptures.