Cattaraugus is a village in the Town of New Albion in Cattaraugus County, New York.
The Village of Cattaraugus was incorporated in 1882. Its name derives from Cattaraugus Creek.
The first clearing of ground in the village was made by Horace Snyder to establish his potash production. The village developed most after the arrival of the Erie Railroad in 1851.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.1 square miles, all of it land.
NY Route 353 and the South Branch of Cattaraugus Creek pass through the village.
The Cattaraugus-Little Valley Central School is the largest employer in the village. Industry is a significant portion of the Cattaraugus economy, and two factories (one for the Chester-Jensen company and the other for lollipop stick manufacturer Setterstix) are located in the village. Outside of that, Cattaraugus's economy mostly capitalizes on its location far away from most major municipalities (the nearest city of more than 10,000 is more than 20 miles away in any direction). The only national franchise in Cattaraugus is a Dollar General, which opened in 2010.
Free wi-fi, public computers, fax and copier service.
The Medora Ball Museum is a church that was built in the early 1860's and displays the local history of the Town of Otto.
1pm-4pm Thursdays through Sundays
It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!
View the visitor's guide online
request that the Enchanted Mountains guide
be snail mailed to you for FREE!
The cabin at Pfeiffer Nature Center is made entirely of American Chestnut, which is now extinct.