Cattaraugus is a village in the Town of New Albion in Cattaraugus County, New York.
The Village of Cattaraugus was incorporated in 1882. Its name derives from Cattaraugus Creek.
The first clearing of ground in the village was made by Horace Snyder to establish his potash production. The village developed most after the arrival of the Erie Railroad in 1851.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.1 square miles, all of it land.
NY Route 353 and the South Branch of Cattaraugus Creek pass through the village.
The Cattaraugus-Little Valley Central School is the largest employer in the village. Industry is a significant portion of the Cattaraugus economy, and two factories (one for the Chester-Jensen company and the other for lollipop stick manufacturer Setterstix) are located in the village. Outside of that, Cattaraugus's economy mostly capitalizes on its location far away from most major municipalities (the nearest city of more than 10,000 is more than 20 miles away in any direction). The only national franchise in Cattaraugus is a Dollar General, which opened in 2010.
This is a home-based business specializing in copper and iron works. They have been the area's leading producer of Amish dolls for many years.
Open by Appointment in the Village of Cattaraugus Memorial Day Weekend till October 31. Call 257-3935, located at 9940 Leon Road
Country Diner and Store with a welcoming atmosphere and quick home-cooked meals. Open 365 Days a year. Dine-in or take-out. Serving classic breakfast dishes, sandwiches, burgers, subs, wraps, and comforting dinner entrees. Pick up some ice cream, beer, ice, or other simple necessities on your way out!
It's a full 56-page comprehensive guide, highlighting the activities and attractions in our County and it's FREE!!
View the visitor's guide online
request that the Enchanted Mountains guide
be snail mailed to you for FREE!
Miner’s Cabin in Franklinville was built by a miner that returned home after making it good during the gold rush era of the west coast. The building is not a cabin either but a three story house of Queen Anne design.